9 August 2011

Read Books, not Magazines.

When I was Justin Bieber age I read a lot.  Hauls from weekly library visits were mingled with Total Girl and Creme magazines.  Thankfully I never made the leap to their older sisters.

These magazines are like cheap chocolate; nom to sickly quickly.  The lip gloss and huggable boys seem rather harmless.  And maybe they are.  But they did  not help shape the person I want to be.  I want to dress up and read literature.  Not doll up and read Facebook.

Now I read Frankie.  It's quite a communal experience.  When I'm done it goes to a friend, my English teacher and my bookshelf to be enjoyed later.  Although I wish I had read something like Frankie when I was twelve, I know I wouldn't have accepted it.  Fluff though it was, it was pretty pygmy puff fluff. 

I have decided to expand my personal library and read more.  I shall see you trolling the second hand book sales.

We need laughs, role models and culture.  Not sex tips.

3 comments:

  1. Hear hear! (again)

    (Oh my god I'm posting on your whole blog I'm so sorry! I haven't checked my dashboard thing of people I follow for ages properly so this is catch up right? Heheh... Sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the way you write. You should start a paper 'zine like Izzy from Hipster Musings. I would buy a copy.

    ReplyDelete

I get excited if you comment.