6 January 2013

2013, Come at me Bro


While 2012 may not have been a good year for my blog (my sincerest apologies for the obscure and mopey posts) it was kind to me.  University is a vibrant place.  I am thankful for the study and new friends.  The person who didn’t fit well at high school has found a place.* 

Yet, the year has left me so damn uncreative.
As if all of my vital organs are flopping about in a colander, my essence drained.
This year I wish to avoid – work all day, endless scroll of dim images on internet, sleep, repeat –  and retain some of ‘myself’.
Hopefully I can make progress in the never ending Quest for Balance.

Read for Fun.
No reading challenge deadlines to fetter me.  No novels for class.  No finishing dreary stories.  Just enjoyment. 

Get a Perm.
I want curly hair.  I have always wanted curly hair.  Be the change you want to see in the world.

Lose a Bag of Flour.
5 kg isn’t that much right?  I have a hill to summit to return from Uni.  And I’ll do a 10 km run.  Then I can justifiably wear sweatbands.  No Big Deal.

Write.
Write frequently and forcibly.  Measure my success by blog posts and continued scribblings for the student magazine.**

Organise Study.
How I wishwishwish
 I’d been more conscientious with note summarising throughout the year.  If this eliminates some stress my mother won’t have to sit through hours of stress-crying over skype.  (Thanks Mama!)

Travel.
Summer is too packed with work for adventures and decent friend-times.  I promise to take mini holidays to Wellington and Auckland to cultivate friendships.

Creative Nourishment.
Nothing gives me such purpose and fulfilment as theatre, live music, art galleries, musicals, crowds, films, poetry readings, rugby games, dancing, hipster cafe’s, op shops etc.  I must attend something at least once a month.  Mini-goals: perform a poem at local poetry reading and join Debating society.  I must make the most of actually living in a city.

Welcome 2013, let it be a creative and fulfilling year.

*She has also found a place in second year Law.  ULTIMATE PARTY TIMES for Law Degree!  Wahey!
** Also, eliminate use of 'I' in blogging.  Narcissism is boring.

5 comments:

  1. Have you seen The Hobbit yet?! (Dumarse question, I know)
    I have always loved curly hair, but have always been to chicken to try a perm! As for losing the bag of flour, I so need to do that, dammit.Doesn't bear thinking about though! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobbit is basically inspiration for perm.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with this all. :)

    And good luck with year two, and yes. All of this. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a list. I am impressed. I think you are really interesting and I hope you still use "I" while blogging. I had a perm a long time ago. Get some heated rollers and practice before you commit. As for the bag of flour, I was writing something which i thought was witty but I deleted it because I thought you would think me mad. Walking is good and costs nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading for fun is the best! I always find myself saying I need to read more and when I do I'm like why don't read more, this is great!

    (in reply to your comment) That's a good idea, I think "I Go to Seek a Great Perhaps" is definitely better than YOLO.
    Yes Atwood is a genius, I'm definitely going to reserve more of her books from the library. But yes, I am really enjoying The Handmaids Tale. I think I'll leave you another comment relating to it once I'm finished reading it and I've gathered my thoughts on it. (only a chapter or two left, eek)

    ReplyDelete

I get excited if you comment.